We’re a boutique agency in Austin, Texas. We’re thinkers, coders, creators, problem-solvers.
With a background in the arts, Adam is a strategic design leader who combines his creative and visual acuity with deep expertise in branding, marketing and digital to help companies rise above competitors and connect with customers. Adam co-founded what.it.is, and serves as the managing partner and the strategic lead on a wide range of branding, interactive, design and experience projects.
Benjamin Slade is a senior creative director and designer with experience leading complex, multi-faceted projects for clients operating in a wide variety of markets and industries. From strategy to execution and delivery, Ben is focused on delivering quality products and experiences that solve problems, deliver results, and forge connections with the people they touch. Ben co-founded what.it.is in 2010, and serves as a Partner and Creative Director for the agency.
Jesse Kevon is a full-stack web developer specializing in front-end development and Ruby on Rails. Jesse has been creating beautiful digital experiences with what.it.is since 2013. Prior to his experience in the tech industry, Jesse managed a music venue in Nashville, TN where he was responsible for all event management, volunteer recruitment and oversight, concert promotion and maintaining artist and booking management relationships.
Junie Threatt is a senior web developer with deep experience in a wide array of programming languages and services. Prior to joining what.it.is, Junie held lead developer roles at T3 and Livestrong Foundation. Born in Conroe, Texas, Junie is the son of actor Junie Threatt II and Dancer Kathy Martin. He has 2 siblings, Tim and Niki. In 2005, he left Austin Community College in Austin, Texas to pursue his development career.
Luke is a software developer who enjoys building applications big and small, and preferably in Ruby. Originally from Aberdeen, Scotland - Luke found his way over to the Lonestar state where he earned his Marketing and Finance degrees from St. Edwards University in Austin. When not behind the keyboard, you can find him either running long distances, on the golf course or playing soccer (he insists on calling it football).
Ryan Curtis is a multidisciplinary designer, with experience working on internal product teams and at agencies. Before moving to Austin, Ryan got his degree in Strategic Communication from the Missouri School of Journalism, with a focus on Art Direction. Ryan understands and respects the symbiosis of UX and UI, and brings equal passion to both aspects of the digital design process. Outside of work, Ryan enjoys shredding on the skateboard and the guitar.
what.it.is seeks an experienced, detail-oriented User Interface and User Experience Designer to augment existing project teams in the creation of beautiful, forward-thinking digital products, mobile applications, and websites. On a day-to-day basis you will work hand in hand with creative directors, in-house designers, and developers on all aspects of our process. This includes everything from research, UX strategy and wireframing to beautiful, fully-realized UI design, as well as managing the front-end implementation and testing of your finished work.
The right candidate will be a follower of emerging trends in design, web technology and user experience, engaged in the design community, and focused on doing intelligent work at the highest level possible. The position will be filled on either contract-to-hire of full-time basis commensurate to qualifications and availability of candidates.
Experience & Qualifications
- 3-5+ years of experience designing user interfaces for websites, mobile apps, and digital products
- Proven ability to translate client and project goals into strategic decisions around functionality, hierarchy, and placement of features
- Strong conceptual thinking. Create more than just beautiful things. Work that demonstrates execution based on set design parameters and objectives
- Experience working on early stage UX workshopping, strategy and wireframing
- Client-facing experience presenting work, talking through feedback and iterating on deliverables
- Fluent in industry tools and technologies
- The ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Experience managing multiple projects, tasks and deadlines simultaneously
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills
- Ability to execute at a high level within tight timeframes
- Willingness to be flexible and responsive as priorities and client needs change
- Experience designing for complex web-apps and software a plus
What We Bring
- Competitive salary and full benefits
- Challenging, forward-thinking projects
- Diverse clients working across a wide array of industries
- Emphasis on doing only exceptional work
- Dedicated, hands-on project team
- Flexible vacation